Friday, May 27, 2016

I'm not always my best self during/after some of my kids sports competitions. Of course, I expect more from them than I do from their teammates, considering. I'm fully aware of their capabilities --their strengths; their weaknesses, at least I'd like to think so, as their mother.

Oftentimes I push them lovingly ~ academically and athletically (and, in attitude). I desire them to do their very best and fairly earn whatever opportunity awaits an individual who has an impressive work ethic and personal discipline.

My husband and I provide the tools and resources necessary to make life's accomplishments easier to achieve. I mean, why make things harder when life may automatically create hardships naturally.

My eldest (my son) had his share of mommy when she's not at her best. Though athletically (and academically) gifted, rarely did I witness him a peak performance in some of the various sports he was privileged.

Routinely I/we would train him (when it was a sport we were knowledgeable) or hire a private coach. I'd borrow library books and DVD's on whatever sport he was currently participating. We'd encourage him watch instructional videos on YouTube. I'd make sure he'd stay fit with frequent runs and swims and yoga. Was mindful of what he consumed nutritionally.

Being a former aerobics and fitness instructor,  it was often apparent to me what type of routine would benefit and be useful in terms of conditioning in order to excel in a particular sport.

Back then, regretfully, I didn't control my tongue and offer much more encouragement and less ridicule. I had so many fears for his well being and peer acceptance which probably was the source of how I expressed.

To me during that time, the way you compete athletically is an indicator of how you navigate through life. Being repeatedly bullied as a kid myself, I felt it crucial to teach people how to treat you through your performance on the court, in the field or otherwise.

Gradually I learned (and accepted), my son is a very laid back person. Though athletically-abled, his competitive side shines more academically.

Truth is, kids can be mean. And looking back, I realize, mommy's can be too. Bottom line, there is a source to every emotion. Character improves once we become conscious of our own imperfections.

Luckily, my very athletically inclined, no-nonsense daughter is seeing me more at my best. But still, her recent sports competititions have proven, I'm still a work in progress.


No comments:

Post a Comment