Monday, August 15, 2016



Sitting here, in bed. Marveling at the things I "can do".

At the beginning stages of this renal condition, I had a dialysis catheter [google]. This was a temporary port through my chest area for which dialysis treatments could be done. During months or year with catheter, I was hospitalized with a serious infection. This is one of the risk of having a catheter which is why they are temporary (I suppose).

Limitations were I had to be careful not to get it wet. Which meant, no long, luxurious baths. And absolutely NO SWIMMING.

For the past year or so, I have the dialysis fistula [google]. Mine is in my left arm. Limitations with this are: no jewelry or anything slightly restricting on that arm, ever. No carrying even slightly heavy objects with that hand or arm, i.e, groceries or hand bags. No sleeping on that side of the body. No strenuous activity, even certain sports that can pose risk of injury to that arm. There is a plethora of other "no, no's", but what I can do is SWIM.

No comments:

Post a Comment