Monday, August 15, 2016

My twelve year old daughter is VERY active - daily. For sports, right now she competes in golf, volleyball, flag football, handball, dodge ball, basketball, hockey, boxing, badminton. In the recent past she has competed in: baseball (not softball), tennis. She wants to participate in: rugby, water polo, lacrosse, martial arts. She also exercises with me at the fitness facility we all attend. There she runs (outdoors too), bikes, stair climbs, circuit, yoga (at home too), swims and aqua aerobics.

An awesome chess player too, I think her fearlessness keeps her at a level of excellence competitively both athletically and academically. Charitable volunteerism is factored into the weekly regimen.

An avid bibliophile (much like her family), she also knits, crochets and quilts very well. Equally loves the past time of gardening and culinary. Oftentimes either myself or even other adults seek out her expertise in troubleshooting project jams or confusions.

Most importantly, she is of quality character, which my husband and I are proud. Advanced for her age and grade, she has no challenges when it comes to easily socializing, engaging or interacting with others regardless of difference in age, gender, culture or background.

When I'm asked, "how long will you home-school?", I wonder. It is obvious to those paying attention, I hope - academically, athletically, attitude there's no problem. What part of her well-being or character will a traditional school environment benefit? My husband and I home-schooled our son through intense grief through child loss. At this point, I quit my career as a self-employed hairstylist.

And now. We continue to home-school through my debilitating health challenge.  The biggest strain and stress is it's just the four of us. Whatever happens we pretty much have to endure challenges alone - aside from my dad, who has become more consistent and helpful. And the biggest challenge - which has been rapidly growing since 2000, the year I had to stop working (due to the symptoms of grief) and now, humongous medical bills - which can be very depressing, to say the least.

I think the largest burden to any health challenge is the financial toll it has on the family as a whole. Every small expense, is a huge one coupled with what already exist. With no way of collecting disability, even though, I'm considered "disabled", I remain clueless as to whom some sort of healthcare reform was actually for. Rather than rant about anything that can possibly turn political, I'll stick to my personal policy ~ to never freely discuss my political or religious philosophies.

No comments:

Post a Comment