Monday, February 15, 2016

Gift ideas for someone surviving through dialysis ~ handmade/purchased/borrowed... Remember, most patients are subjected to remain inclined in one spot for up to three hours/three times per day -- until they are fortuned a transplant or health miraculously improves or forever.

Keep in mind the individual ~ age, gender; personality, nature and belief(s) of the recipient. Someone new to dialysis may not know what they need or want right away, as the life change may take time getting accustomed. Personally, I take all or most of these "necessities" to each of my treatments, rain or shine. Remember, though it may be warm out, it's very chilly inside dialysis units (at least the one I'm assigned). So any garments that can be easily put on or removed would be great.

I've crocheted/knitted fistula covers for my arm ... research the looks of dialysis fistulas. To me, mine is hideous. An eyesore, though I'm not ashamed, but feel it's worthy of courteous coverage. Also, I've made myself huge hooded cowls, scarfs, shawls and hats. Plan to make leg warmers and blankets in the near future. *Every stitch is made with love when you are making something for someone else. Many times you can experience the pleasure of giving a handmade item to someone who'd really be appreciative.

I love to read. Love to write. Love, love drawing and coloring. Love words and puzzles and juvenile looks & finds. And anything evoking critical thought or elevating my limited intelligence.

Love to be able to look something up quickly on my cell or tablet. Admittedly, gossip sites has become my guilty pleasure. But I spend an assortment of time browsing interesting YouTube. Over the years, I've collected various card & portable games (yeah, I'm a big, bright, curious kid in an adults body).

My dialysis days and times are M/W/F - 4:45 am-8:15 am.  I can never predict how long it'll take to be connected or removed from the machine. Occasionally complications arise and who knows, one day it'll be smooth sailing, the other, turbulence. Thankfully I've adjusted quite remarkably. Yesterday (Feb. 14th - Valentines Day) marked two years of dialysis. Wow! before you know it, I'll have an uneventful, healthy transplant.

Since my time is so early, most of the time, I sleep through. Other times, I'm experiencing some sort of physical or mental discomfort. Having "comfy" items tangible, makes my experience less challenging.

Before you continue, may I add one more thing. The best gift you can give is your presence. Yeah, presents are great, but valued and appreciated time is priceless. If the patient has a spouse (or devoted loved one) who is always present (like my dear husband), privilege that person a much needed day off. A moment knowing their loved one is okay for this one day visited by you - someone who is compassionate. Someone who cares. Or, offer to drive patient to their treatments for a day.

If you are an amazing cook who enjoys sharing, learn about the Renal Diet. Contact the dietitian at dialysis unit. Many sites out there can be misleading. Get facts from reliable and educated resources. Offer to assist with meal planning. I know this would make me happy. Cooking is not my talent.

  • snacks (see Renal Diet)/tupperware 
  • hand & face moisturizer/mask
  • back scratcher (one that extends)
  • ice cube storage (portable)
  • comfy undergarments
  • adult coloring books (zen)/crayons/pencils/markers
  • mirror (compact)
  • silk/satin bonnet
  • travel pillow/log shaped pillow/U shaped pillow
  • warm slippers/socks
  • eye cover/mask - (silk and iced)
  • word search/puzzles
  • warm, rectangle blanket
  • books, book mark/light
  • headphones (quality)
  • CD/DVD player (portable)
  • journal
  • ear muffs
  • cowl/shawl/hat/mittens/booties
  • duffle bag - large, spacious, easy to carry
  • daily planner
  • medicine case
  • comfy portable chair - for guest
  • dialysis clothes (accessible fistulas, grafts, catheter)
  • magazine subscription
  • shades (or eye wear)
  • note pads/pens/pencils and case
  • board, card games (portable)
  • Kleenex/handkerchief
  • warm sheet (fit dialysis chair)
  • fan (portable)
  • music CD's (or maybe download patients favorite tunes)
  • hand sanitizer
  • art supplies
  • story/logic puzzles
  • cell phone (text/Internet/apps)
  • Ipad/Laptop (with portable stand)
  • gum/hard candies/mints/breath spray
  • water bottle/cooler (small)
  • classical, relaxation, meditative tunes
  • leggings
  • dictionary 
  • tools & resources to learn new language
  • chess/checker board (play with guest)
  • sweat pants/turtle necks
  • Tablet to list doctors and medications and readings (i.e. blood pressure, weight)
* A genuinely kind note/card or text of encouragement for the day always makes my heart smile. Periodically keep in contact with patient. Let them know they are in your thoughts. Never assume...

Post a comment if this helps or if you have any additions to the list. I'm sure others readers can benefit. Plus, please tell a friend about my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment