Sunday, June 14, 2015

During a late evening stroll with my daughter, I went over basic mathematical principles with her. Having had an aversion to math as a kid myself, it was paramount that my kids be academically sound in this much needed and valuable subject.

Since I plan to introduce algebra into her curriculum soon (my son had it at an earlier age. But he is a different learner), I want to make sure she comprehends everything else first before moving on to something more challenging.

This night, I went over "change". Weeks ago I noticed she had some difficulty telling me how much change I was suppose to get during a grocery store trip. Randomly, in real life situations, I ask my kids questions.

Surprisingly (she's very bright), she was very dismissive. This made my mommy radar elevate even higher. Since I'm paying attention to what's going on, I grab this teachable moment by the horns.

Turns out, she is was very capable of doing this "change" on paper, but doing it randomly, off the top of her head, a challenge. I've always had my kids using book dictionaries so they'll know how to use them. Calculators were used only for learning how to use them. Calculate the whole problem long hand on paper is what "Sage" requires. Her not knowing how to calculate change in her head, this is unacceptable, so I've been revisiting certain areas mathematically.

I loved grammar, literature and art as a youngster. So I understand math may not be her immediate strength. Fortunately, she's willing to learn. And, she loves science, which is great. Regardless of her interest, there will be no excuse to be ignorant in a needed subject, which is math. As it is, she's asthmatic (so am I). And that hasn't stopped her from running, competing. No excuses!

While walking and talking (something my now 18 year old son and I use to do often), we held hands as we both smiled marveling at the nights sky. I'm so thankful we live in such a peaceful community. Sure, anything can happen anywhere, but usually I fell comfortable enjoying excursions such as an evening walk even though things are horribly affordable. We sacrifice, for peace...

Due to the pleasantness of us both - she drawing closer to experiencing that time of the month, me have already left those days of a dreaded time of the month - it was a nice time to introduce something she has been avoiding. Math.

Asked her the question. When it took her longer than I felt it should to answer the question from her head, I shared with her what worked for me when I was a kid. Days ago, her dad shared his way. Earlier today, over dinner,  her big brother (a physics major who has already earned several degrees from starting junior college at age fourteen) shared with her his way.

Seems like she better understand. There was no pressure. We were out, having a good time and enjoying each other completely. Just this time last year, I couldn't walk with her without passing out after a few steps. I'm so thankful to have part of my mind back. So thankful to have parts of my strength back. So thankful to be conscious and to know what's going on.  Just thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment