Tuesday, August 11, 2015

My eighteen year old son is home from college. He came home before, then left again to work on campus and is now back until school resumes. And of course, happiness is grand when he's home.

My kids are always teaching me (yes, one of their primary role models, teachers and parent) something. I learn something new and beneficial about myself, about them or about life in general. I must confess, each time I'm amazed. Small, then big and growing conceptions of their dad and I's love has been my greatest physical examples of what matters in life.

Talking to my son now, on an intimate level (we are really close) is enlightening. He is conformation of all the sacrifices, discipline, education, modeling; guidance, love and nurture were all worth while. If I weren't his mom, I would wish to have some sort of connection with him, the person.

I look and listen to him, thinking to myself, "wow, what a human being".  His thoughts, ideas and beliefs are his own and he is comfortable in knowing he can freely share & be anything with his parents. We are and always be here for him. I've always reminded my kids to be acutely aware and thankful for the quality of their lives.

Recognize everyone is not as fortunate so approach challenging social situations with compassion and be grateful that some of life's insurmountable devastation's are beyond even your precocious comprehension. Stay conscious. Surround yourself with authentic substance & quality. And be authentic and of substance & quality.

I have profound gratitude in the knowingness that all that time, during his developmental adolescence when in maternal frustration I "thought" he wasn't paying attention or "getting the lessons", turns out, I was wrong. My heart smiles every time I watch him ~ evolve more than the embodiment of what I envisioned at his birth.

No comments:

Post a Comment