Saturday, August 15, 2015

Time races while at one of my frequented yarn socials. Ladies from various ages and backgrounds (including my crocheting husband and knitting/crocheting daughter) get together and just create things for themselves, their family & friends, for their preferred charities.

At the onset of the health crisis, I forgot how to do many things - knit/crochet to name a couple. With great determination I have managed to regain the skill I lost coupled with minor improvements.

My son is a proficient knitter and crocheter as well. For years I have suggested that he start a yarn social on his college campus. He said he'll consider it down the line once he has less commitments.

My daughter recently started a yarn social of her own. Yarn-Crafty Youngsters (website coming soon/email: ycraftyyoungsters@gmail.com) it's called. Once she accumulates enough young participants - boys & girls ages 10 and up, she'll have her first gathering - exclusively for youth (parent or guardian must be present). It won't be a class but I hope some will instinctively teach many. All will bring their own yarn & tools, along with a positive, peaceful & productive attitude.

I also had the idea to create warm charitable items for dialysis patients such as: fistula sleeves, cowls, socks and lap covers. Once I work out the logistics, we'll be up and running.

Proudly I've completed a few average sized items within the past few months - about three shawls, a bold orange colored poncho, and cell phone cases. Cleverly, I've managed to knit/crochet/loom while on dialysis. I was told from some this would be impossible. Persistent, I inquired further, along with Internet research. And from my findings, became more brazen in my approach to figuring out a way to do the I was told, impossible.

While hooked up to my dialysis chair, I dabble in a multitude of things ~ I sleep (my dialysis time starts at 4:45 am), I talk to my husband (who except for a few occasions has been right there by my side for the whole three hour treatments), I read (library books, magazines, news from my phone or tablet), I draw and color (I love pencils, pens, crayons, markers; coloring books), I play games (on my table or with my husband. Lately I have been learning how to play chess -- plan to surprise my skilled chess playing daughter, who has wanted to teach me for years),

I blog (ideas/topics come up often and when they do, immediately I HAVE to purge into written word), I eat (working out has me famished sometimes. This hunger carries on until the next day, so I eat), I listen to music (my music interest are varied in taste. I mostly love classical, funk, classic rock, 70's/80's R&B, jazz, psychedelic rock & swing). I people watch (I wonder what is everyone story. I get inspired or discouraged by what I see. I don't want to look or act sick), I knit/crochet (big, broad, colorful items to bring life to such a depressing place). These are all the things I can think of off the top of my head. Sometimes I do nothing, yet have lugged an assortment of items to my chair, to my husband's disdain. I make the best of my time by keeping myself entertained from start to finish. Three hours usually goes by pretty fast.

Hopefully by the time I'm fortunate a new kidney, I'll be bi or multilingual. I love to meet and socialize with all kinds of people. Shy now but painfully shy throughout childhood, my curious and gregarious nature immerses into the courage to approach absolutely anyone. I'm more bold and unfiltered since the stroke though. Oftentimes I get frustrated with myself when I can't speak or understand due to language barriers/comprehension issues resulting from stroke (frontal lobe). Nonetheless, joyously I make friends everywhere I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment