Wednesday, May 20, 2015

The library is my absolute favorite place to be. Especially my community ones - locally the main and branches. I use to have these terrifying nightmares about the libraries (all of them - on the entire planet) suddenly becoming extinct.  I'd awakened panicked and drenched in sweat. My natural hair, which is on the curly/silver side would instantly becoming more afroed and coiled. Eventually my husband became accustomed to these night terrors. My return to the the library soon after, seeing it still in tact was as comforting as a lovingly swaddled newborn.

Remember Twilight Zone? One of my many enjoyed shows til this day. [Season 1 - Episode 8], "Time Enough at Last". Research it. You'll see a bookish man - a bank teller who ends up being the sole survivor of some sort of end of world crisis. Once he realizes he has a plethora of books to himself, he's less concerned and more delighted in being able to enjoy what he loves - books. Something devastating happens towards the end {I won't say, spoiler}, but my heart sank when I saw his most profound catastrophe. Every time I see this episode, I lament the possibilities of this really happening. This episode best describes my fears related to the dreams I was having.

Thankfully I'm less fearful of any of form of disaster were to happen today. Though something similar, or gawd forbid, the same could occur especially in this rapidly developing world. Life has taught me ~ anything is possible. I have bigger things to worry about these days though. I'm just grateful for each moment, to be able to frequent a place in a quality atmosphere and simply loose myself in a internal fantasy land of my own so to speak. And have the freedom and ability to do it.

In my household, each family members library cards are at their limit in required checkouts. Fifty books per card are allowed. So very often, our books are put on a 3-day hold until there's enough space to add to our cards. Surprisingly, there's rarely overdue charges on either of our accounts I'm proud to say. Yet still, out of control, it could appear. Probably sheer insanity, to be honest. Perhaps I'm too odd to reasonably finish the books I have first, then get more. BUT... the books I stumble across, that's it, I stumble, not always looking per se, I find myself unable to leave them there. I may forget they're there if I leave them! So I get them while interested and look forward to reading them with the (50) or so others. It's the library's fault. They should get so many good books at one time. They should stop displaying them so  enticingly on the shelves. Maybe I need therapy. Not for anything to do with my renal disease, or this challenging renal diet, but for my book compulsion.

Being that we home-school, it can be understandable why we have so many books during our checkouts. Piles and piles of books/occasional educational DVD's on various subjects. My daughter loves science, animals, plants, sports, cooking, geography, mythology, biographies; she has her favorite authors too, which fortunately, are too many to list here [now]. My son, though away, {but nearby} at college now also an avid reader.  His cherished card is no longer at the limit. And he refuses to let me "borrow" his. *Is that legal? I remember, when he was younger, taking his library card was a consequences for unpleasant behavior. He'd scream so loudly, my neighbors probably thought we were beating him to half to death. It's humorous now, but back then, oh boy.

My attractively nerder husband enjoys finance, chess, Star Wars, Isaac Asimov and Jack Reacher novels authored by Lee Childs or F. Paul Wilson. He reads mostly science fiction. Library employees who've been working there for awhile are no longer as astonished (at least I don't think so) when they see us coming. Giving them much more work to handle.

Myself, I read whatever my kids are reading, I love YA fiction, biographies, knitting/crochet, cultures/countries, anatomy, physical fitness, grammar, writing, world religions/beliefs, philosophy, psychology, poetry, and subject  literature for juveniles - as I'm always learning and am still, as many of you may now notice, curious. The list goes on. And on. Even with all this reading, admittedly,  I still feel less than intelligent at times. The stroke (2014) didn't help me feel smarter either, which makes me hungrier for knowledge, if that's possible. Lately I've been delving into history. Never was really interested before. Now I'm totally engulfed.

I can never understand why more people aren't as fascinated with the library as I. It's a free and for most, easily accessible resource full of valuable information and fun for all walks of life.

Today I went to the library alone. Which has become unusual since my health changed. I was there to return books so I can get some off hold. Determined to do just that, eventually I failed. Ended up roaming the isles once again. Seeing great stuff, topics I needed and wanted to further explore. You know, the Sage way. Always wondering. Seeking. And sometimes, often unexpectedly guiding.

I wanted to start using my fairly new laptop to write my blogs while there. Its a wonderful environment, and people/places are my muse. Being new to carrying a computer, I opened it only to discover the battery had died. Sat there briefly, still absorbing my surroundings, then remembered I had my knitting. *Always keep a project or a book or a game/toy on hand. I searched for a new spot to sit, somewhere where I can people watch while creating something beautiful. And I found this perfect spot -- a secluded spot where I could still observe while, by then prematurely fatigued yet gratefully seated on these big, black cushiony and comfy chairs near a window and away from books that'll capture my interest. I wished I had chairs so comfortable in my home. Wished I had larger, sturdier, prettier bookshelves in my home. I wish... Anyways, I sat there for about 30 minutes maybe longer quenching my thirst to be out ~ Being positively productive in a place of peace, for me.

Oops, I wrote more than I planned. Hope to not have caused too much boredom.

til Next time,

Sage


No comments:

Post a Comment