Monday, January 23, 2017

Now that my twelve year old daughter has had her menstrual cycle -- PMS for a couple of years now, my patient husband and impatient me have decided to give her (us) a week off during those days of pure chaos. Any reason or rationality goes out the door. Complete pandemonium.

This is one of the many benefits to homeschooling. I've noticed during my kids years of puberty and hormones, we all needed to step away from our usual routine. Either get more sleep, more food, more alone time, whatever.

My go-to remedy for when my kids behavior gets out-of-control, I do one or all of the following: Feed them. Focusing primarily on highly nutritious food. Because I suspect that maybe their temporary behavior issue is caused by an imbalance in their diet.

Next, I give them a long, warm, relaxing bath. Bathroom is scented with relaxing fragrances, lights are dimmed, etc. At some point, I'll gently clean their backs. Maybe even give them a quick foot rub.

And finally, I'll put them to bed. I believe sleep is crucial during their growing years. Preteens, teens are still going through growth spurts. And I noticed behavior changes during this time as well. Additional sleep helps them rest their body and mind. Eventually waking up behaving like their "normal sweet selves".

But, if "I'm hormonal too", this is a different story. There are times I may not have the patience needed to be more compassionate with "my own kids" during this challenging time. During those times, I may need... to eat, need a bath, need to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment