Monday, January 23, 2017

One of the sweet, beloved older ladies from one of my knitting groups died last week. Just three weeks ago she told me, that she had six months. Thankful she trusted me with this disturbing news, first I was speechless. I informed her of my honesty, "I don't know what to say", as I squeezed her affectionately like I always did. Stoicly she was appreciative for my compassion.

Thinking back now, I've learned so much from this bittersweet experience. This Canadian, bilingual, french speaking woman taught me even more about tenacity. How to keep living through adversity. Though she knew she was dying, she continued on with her usual life routine.

Many of us ladies (my husband, and daughter included) valued her as a fellow participant. She was an extremely knowledgeable knitter. Many participants still have unfinshed projects she was graciously assisting them with.

This knitting group is not a class. All levels are welcomed. Whenever one of us is challenged by a stitch or project, usually another avail themselves to assist. Even myself, or my husband or even my twelve year old daughter helps someone with a challenge (and vice versa).

Looking back, I'm sure she suspected she had very limited time left. She expressed no fear
and a feisty determination to keep going with her life. She was there answering questions and also completing projects she was making for others.

It was such an honor to have experienced her. I loved her strength, her compassion. She always inquired about how I was feeling. Encouraged me to keep going and that I'd soon get a kidney. I even have a pink hat she gave me. And knitting books she gave me and my husband.

During meetups, I look over to her usual spot, where she sat. One leg was amputated, yet her son brought her to every knit activity. She was there. Continuing...

Message: keep going. Don't procrastinate. No one knows how long. She was told six months. But unfortunately, she had far less time. But with her time, she continued. Did what she wanted. Helped others. Was kind, regardless of her fate.

2 comments:

  1. "It was such an honor to have experienced her." Such a beautiful sentence that sums up the whole post. Keep writing, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!

    I went to her funeral service today. It was bittersweet. Many fellow knitters/crocheters were also present paying their respects. She will be missed.

    ReplyDelete