Sunday, September 25, 2016

Had an appointment with an ENT (Ear, Nose, Throat) doctor. This was my first time seeing this doctor or going to this office.

I sat in the waiting room nervously. Usually my husband accompanies me to my medical appointments, especially all the "first time" ones.

As I was filling out all the tedious and confusing paperwork (keep in mind, I'm a stroke survivor), I was not only wondering if I was wise and accurate in what I was writing and, if I this office could "bill me".

With the medical insurance my accountant husband's company provided, our co-pay is a whopping $60.00! Calculate that with 3 or more medical visits each week, coupled with all the weekly prescription refills AND monthly medical bills overdue.

While there, I felt warm all over. The longer I waited (which was over an hour by the time I was seen), the more nervous I felt. During, I didn't feel too comfortable with my experience thus far, and I hoped that I would at least LIKE the doctor I was scheduled to see.

Finally my name was called. The staff who called my name failed to make eye contact. This always cause me pause. As I was placed in the room, more questions were asked, and she still never made eye contact. I realized some people are grossly socially challenged, but damn, I had to pay $60.00 for you not to even look at me?!

Speaking of which, luckily, they were able to call my husband (who goes into the office on my non-dialysis days) to get the payment via credit card by phone. They wouldn't bill me. And I rarely have money on hand.

So, the staff eventually left (without making eye contact), and I waited several more long minutes. The doctor eventually enters. Cheerfully and making courteous eye contact, thankfully. I like him already. He comes in confidently and competently. Immediately he does would ENT's do, I suppose.

He proceeds to check my ear (which I had a horrible ear infection that prevented me from swimming for a while). Noticing the infection, he cleans my ear out, suggesting I continue prescription my other doctor prescribed.

But what I was there for, was that since my renal condition (since 2014), I've had awful breath issues. Frequent brushing/flossing/cleaning tongue/mouthwash/gum/mints...to no relief.  I've always been very meticulous about my oral hygiene, so any challenges with my mouth is concerning.

He stated that this was common in renal patients, especially with all the medications. And there was not much that can be done. Arrgh!

I like him, but was hoping he'd have some sort of solutions. Fortunately he is referring me to a Gastrointestinal doctor. Again, hoping for an immediate remedy to my bad breath.


No comments:

Post a Comment