Sunday, September 25, 2016

Yesterday while out on our typical day at a family-oriented facility. I was walking to my vehicle - parked in the handicapped area. A bit of an older gentleman was slowly but barely walking assisted by his cane ahead of me. Remembering what moments were like when I was re-learning how to walk, I patiently slowed down as not to make him feel rushed or uncomfortable or embarrased.

As I carefully inched my way passed him, I noticed his shoes were untied. Not wanting him to possible trip, I brought the untied laces to his attention and even offered to tie them for him.

To my surprise, he sternly turned around, facing me and said matter-of-factly "no! I want to trip, fall and break my neck and die!"

Whoa! I did not know what to say. Rarely am I speechless. I paused. Searched my thoughts. Wondered if there was anything I could possibly say to this stranger that would show my intentions. Reveal my sincere compassion and in reality, my understanding.

I have felt that exact way countless times. Difference is, he had the bravery to say what he was thinking and what he was feeling without caring what I felt or thought. As I made my way to my vehicle, I took a deep breath. I both admired his honesty and wished him well - in my mind.

Suffering is something that we all experience at some point in our lives. Reality though is, some of us have suffered in unthinkable ways. Ways that often have us hoping for means to be out of misery. And this does not mean we do not appreciate life. It mean that death seems to be the only relief.

From personal experiences, instinctively I knew not to tell that man how to or not to feel. What to or not to believe. That's the last thing a person who is obviously suffering wants to hear is someone else's opinion on how they should feel, be or think.

May he find peace - his way.

No comments:

Post a Comment