Sunday, June 14, 2015

In golf, a gold medal was earned a few weeks ago. Golfed 2 under par. Instructor handed me my daughters card. Didn't comprehend why he'd show me. Obvious ignorance to golf had me more aloof, but thankful. My husband explained the significance of golfing under par during our route home.

Success or challenge, I'm usually neutral. My focus is on my daughter's body language. Her demeanor during every win, every loss. Is she humble. Is she supportive. Is she sensitive to her opponents. Is she arrogant. What's her internal dialogue. What did she learn from the win, the loss.

One thing I've noticed is, in certain sports (she competes in many) like golf in particular. You get whatever you've earned. Any unfairness becomes more limited. Seems like there's less of a chance to receive any form of accolades, any form of special treatment without the cultivated talent. No being selected to some important position or group because of nepotism. You received what you earned.

Having attended a couple of little league All Star games, it's apparent some players are routinely selected to this privileged opportunity for reasons other than talent or temperament. Our daughter attends these games with us and sits through the observation of watching certain players struggle in positions where she undoubtedly skillfully excelled, but have been repeatedly denied the honor to participate. Impressively, she spectates while maintaining a positive attitude. That's a champion.

I believe it builds character sitting and watching others doing something you deserved too. She sits, she cheers, burgundy/white pom poms in hand with a pure heart. Former teammates pointing, perhaps noticing her arrival from the dugout. Hopefully they too are learning something substantial through being aware of  her presence. Some probably knowing deep down, she should be in their spots. When the other parents of these chosen All Stars see us, hopefully they see something genuine in all our characters. We come to support, to encourage; but all to enlighten ourselves and our child.

Maybe watching some of the players she's competed against or with  over the years will motivate and regenerate her game style to some capacity. Watching an All Star level  could excel the intensity in which she competes. She'll have something to draw from next time she steps foot on another field.

I believe next season, times when I constructively critique my daughters performance, she has a better understanding of why I inspire her to push - "pain is weakness leaving the body", to do her best. No goofing around during practices. Listen intently to the coaches. Let mommy help you when her energy permits her to be able to practice with you - don't take this precious moment for granted.

Practice perfect until it becomes habit, is what I instruct. Under certain circumstances, I instill excellence in my kids. Not perfection, excellence - which means, in our household, "doing your best". Pushing yourself. Perfecting your weaknesses, solidifying your strengths. Getting stronger, faster, quicker. Building your endurance, your stamina, your flexibility. Applying what you have been taught and researched. Be competent and courageous.

Even when you're good, be excellent. If you're going to quit, do so based on your timing, give no power to others to force you into quitting due to some unfairness{es}. If you aspire to be the first female MLB player, then keep going. Stay fit, get stronger. Mom & dad got your back.

Just imagine if I gave up when I lost a child. Gave up when my health changed for the worst. Just imagine if I demonstrated being a quitter to my kids. Yeah, I stopped working when my child died. I had to for my own sanity. I was self-employed. I had to figure out who I was. Suddenly, life became about me, not the people pleasing I was accustomed to. Unfortunately, now that my mind is right (to work), my body isn't so much so. I trust that things will work out. They have this long. I digress.

My daughter earned another medal in golf since the previous. A silver. Both rewarding because in this sport, she received exactly what she earned - through hard/smart work. Through perseverance.


No comments:

Post a Comment