Thursday, August 13, 2015

During an appointment with my wonderful vascular surgeon, I brought up my concern about some scaring and huge lump/bump/hump development; along with throbbing achiness and blistering bruises on or around my Ateriovenous (AV) fistula. Yeah I suspected I'd fall victim to this grotesque disfigurement on my arm, but I didn't expect it to occur so soon -  as I've only been on dialysis since 2014 and I was comforted (while panicked at the sight of other patients arm) in hearing that as long as your technician utilizes a wise & effective technique by not putting needle in same area each time, thus giving previous punctured area a chance to heal, one might avoid the permanent ear sore.


Upon Internet research, I've learned  that these lumps/bumps/humps are called pseudoaneurysms which developed from repeated sticks that are necessary to perform hemodialysis. Though cosmetically unappealing they are are of no hazardous concern and are common among dialysis patients. In my cleverness I have begun to knit and crochet sleeves -- knit/crochet colorful wrist band-looking covering for mine. *Also am pondering [currently working out the logistics] starting a charity where knitters/crocheters make these sleeves for dialysis patients.

During my doctors visit I had lots of questions about what is happening with MY fistula. Thankfully there was nothing too serious going on according to the ultrasound done prior to appointment, just a suggestion to have dialysis technicians stick the needle in a different area each time to allow previous area to heal, which makes sense. Right now, lump/bump/hump developing is where the artery or vein (can't remember exactly which) is dilated. Now its at two millimeters. If it gets to three, he'll re-evaluate to determine if surgery is needed. There is lots of space on my arm for techs to work with and if utilized, I can maybe avoid further horrendousness to my arm. Never do I watch the enormous & excruciatingly painful needle(s) going in or coming out but I'd hate to bring attention to something a professional should already know. Reality is: this is my arm, my life here. I have to assert myself in the gentlest most effective way possible. Note:[younger self surfacing] ~ very passively as a back up, had doctor write what HE recommends on a sheet so I can hand it to techs during my next dreaded appointment. Sigh.

So far during my health challenge I have been privileged quality care, for which I'm mindfully grateful. Oftentimes I compassionately think about kidney patients in various parts of the world. Wonder what kind of care they are receiving and how they are coping. I only hope one day I'll have the resources to altruistically make a difference in someone's life. Presently, this blog is a start.

No comments:

Post a Comment